Monday, February 18, 2008

The Soileaus' Excellent Adventure

Karen's post the a while back reminded me that I had promised myself last spring that we would try our hand at letterboxing with the girls. If you are unfamiliar with this hobby, basically you find clues on the internet to boxes hidden in your area with a stamp and booklet inside. You find the box and stamp the hidden stamp in your book and stamp your personal stamp in the booklet in the box. I don't know if that explanation made sense, but at any rate, we decided to give it a try today. We took the girls to Michael's and let them pick out the stamp they liked the best and I bought them each a notebook to record their finds. And, it actually turned out to be more fun than we thought it was going to be. We found one box and the girls, especially Harper Lee, were really excited by the idea of it being a secret that not everyone knew was there.

We decided to try right away to find another box, but as often happens with two girls ages 8 and 5, the situation quickly deteriorated and we decided to head home. BUT, we had a blast and we will definitely try it again as soon as weather and schedule permit!

5 comments:

Virginia said...

That is so cool! That looks like so much fun! I can't wait 'til my kids are older and can do that too.

-C said...

Is there an official letterboxing website or something? I heard about geocaching recently but you have to have a GPS to do it.

Anonymous said...

There is an official site...I think it's letterboxing.net or something like that. We haven't tried this yet. The one clue I found online was at a park in our area that is being "redone" right now!!

Beth said...

Oh, these were so fun (just read and viewed the past three posts)...so cute! Y'all do a great job of capturing the girls' personalities and funny-ness :-) Thanks!!

Renee said...

That sounds like fun. It's like Geocaching for kids!