Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Dining on Crow

I try to reserve this here blog for cute stories about my hubby and kids, but I did want to let everyone in on the adventure I had Saturday night.

Have you ever thought you knew what you were talking about on a given subject and then found out you had it all wrong? That's what I found out Saturday night.

Jeremy and I went to see Ani DiFranco at workplay Saturday night, and I was NOT excited about it. I was planning on "suffering" through it to see Over the Rhine open. When OtR sadly had to cancel because of a death in their family, I was even more ready to walk away. I was grumpy about the fact that it was $43.00 per ticket!!!!, that it was at the Soundstage area (which meant we would be standing for the whole show), and mainly I was grumpy about the fact that for the most part I could not stand listening to Ani DiFranco's music. Jeremy raves about her guitar-playing all the time. I found her songs to be angry rants and I just didn't get what was so great about her.

Then, she walked out onto the stage and ROCKED the frickin' roof off of that place. It was awesome!!!!!!!! I truly don't even know how to describe her guitar-playing. It sounds like there are two people playing with her sometimes. Amazing. BUT, the main thing that changed my mind about her music is that she didn't come across bitter at all. She seemed sweet and even a little goofy. I expected her to scream "I HATE MEN!!!" between every song, or something along those lines. I guess that's a wee bit extreme looking back on it, but, like I said, I hadn't take much time to actually listen to her music. This video on youtube sums up her concert persona (at least for the one concert I saw) - a sweet song, but with a little Ani spunk. :)

Now, obviously, I do have to consider that I have only seen one of her shows, have only two of her CDs, and know virtually nothing else about her, but I have at least seen enough to say I am now a fan.

Just felt like I needed to make a public retraction for some reason.

1 comment:

Kim said...

glad you liked it... I would've been furious if I had paid $43 and then have OtR cancel. I like Ani okay, but she does seem bitter. I used to listen to her a lot in college.